I do not particularly like workflows in CRM. Custom workflows in particular. While I concede there are cases where workflows in CRM can work and that certain custom workflows are useful to add additional capabilities to something a power user can control, from my (albeit rather limited) experience, they are often used (or abused?) outside these situations. Especially where a plug-in would be much better suited.

Unfortunately, I have ended up with a project full of them. With over a hundred different processes and 22 custom workflow assemblies referenced by more than 50 them (some referencing multiple), the system is not my perspective of ideal. Regardless, it has fallen to me to upgrade this CRM4 code base and start to get the system in shape for a future move to CRM2013. 

In preparation for this upgrade I was testing the approach to upgrade the workflows and referenced libraries from .NET 3.5, 3 or earlier and replacing references to CRM4 libraries (i.e. Microsoft.Crm.Sdk) with CRM2011 libraries (i.e. Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk etc) and everything that comes with that (replacing CRM4 types: CrmBoolean, CrmNumber, Lookup, DynamicEntity etc). My initial finding was that an in place upgrade of the code would break a deployed workflow. When you deployed the new assembly it seemed to be fine, however new instances of the workflow will fail. If you try deactivate the workflow and edit it you see this:

5

All the steps that reference the custom workflow show an error message and you can't open them to edit or delete them. Other than the error icon, it doesn't provide much information as to what is wrong. To have a look at what was going on, I exported the workflows in a solution and had a look at the XAML. Turns out the workflow itself has references to the input field types and being originally CRM4 based, these are the old CRM types, for example CrmNumber. It seems that this doesn't reconcile when CRM sees the new code that we deployed so it gives up. 

The first fix that came to mind here was to update the XAML to fix these references. This is a bit of a pain, but only really another set of find and replaces. However, it turns out there is a much simpler fix within CRM. All you need to do is open up the workflow (deactivate it if it is active) and then open the properties for the custom activities input (the first Set Properties button in the screen shot above). This will show the inputs for the custom workflow, which should all look the same as before. You don't actually need to change anything here (unless you want to of course), so just save and close out. Again, it looks like nothing has changed and the errors are still there, but hit save and close again. Now just open it up again and all of a sudden the errors are gone.

6

How easy is that! Simply saving the input parameters must trigger CRM to check and update all the parameter types for the workflow, which means the output parameters now match what is expected and the workflow can happily be activated and run. You can confirm this by exporting the workflow again and looking at the XAML.

Awesome, so it seemed like my workflow headaches were going away. That is, until I realised that unlike CRM2011 workflow assemblies, CRM4 did not require the assembly to be signed… and if you sign an assembly it changes the strong name, which means it will not let you provide it as an update for the deployed code, so the above fix was not going to be enough for everything that I was facing... However, how I went about fixing that is a story for another day.